Thursday, June 17, 2010

Albondigas (Mexican Meatball and Salsa Soup)

I've made this many, many times. Here are two pictures from two different days.


This second one is topped with baked, crunchy tortilla strips. Yum.


Soup is one of my most favorite meals. When I met my husband he was in disbelief that a soup could ever fill him up. He thought it was more of a side than the main meal. I made this soup for him and he changed his mind forever.


I didn't "steal" this from a blog this time but from a Cooking Light cookbook quite a few years ago now. I was a new cook and it was one of my first cookbooks. I was living with my sister and her husband at the time and it was great fun taking my turn to cook for the house. I found this recipe and thought it sounded similar to a soup that my Mom would make for us when we were young.

I've modified this a bit to suit my tastes, namely that I have increased the amount of corn, the amount of rice in the soup, and added more broth and salsa to make it less chunky. I guess the additions of the corn and the rice bulks it up a bit and it needs the extra liquid.


I probably add 1 1/2 cups of corn, 1/2 cup of rice to the soup, and 3 cans of broth. Salsa varies, depending on who is eating the soup. My mother-in-law doesn't like spice so I use less when we have her over for dinner. If it's just for my husband and myself I like to go all out with the salsa!

No comments: