Monday, April 26, 2010

CSA Farm Share

I'm so excited! I received my first email newsletter from Treasured Haven Farm about my CSA share! I sent my check last week so I'm all ready to receive my bounty of vegetables and fruits in June. Yay! I'm anxious to experiment with the different vegetables I'll receive and make some great recipes. Each box will have 7-15 varieties and I'll pick up my box every other week this season to try it out. The farmer lady I spoke with said this was a great way to begin, this will allow me to visit farmer's markets on my off weeks.

Here's what I can expect in my CSA share box:

    Early Season (mid June - mid July):
    Lettuce Blends; Mixed Greens; Arugula; Spinach; Broccoli; Green Onions;
    Radishes; Peas; Beet Greens, Baby Beets; Baby Carrots; Turnips; Summer
    Squash, Zucchini; Wild Edibles, other crops as available.

    Mid Season (mid July - August):
    New Potatoes; Beets; Green Beans; Carrots; Summer Squash, Zucchini;
    Lettuce, Mixed Greens, Swiss Chard; Peppers - sweet and hot; Eggplant;
    Tomatoes - cherry, plum, grape, heirloom, paste, slicers; Sweet Corn;
    Onions; Broccoli; Cauliflower; Cabbage; Cantaloupe, Watermelons; Parsley,
    Chamomile, Sage, Chives, other crops as available.

    Late Season (September - October):
    Tomatoes; Peppers; Eggplant; Cabbage; Carrots; Potatoes; Lettuce, Mixed
    Greens, Swiss Chard, Arugula, Kale; Onions; Beets; Okra; Rutabaga;
    Cantaloupe, Watermelon; Sweet Corn; Turnips; Winter Squashes -
    Spaghetti, Butternut, Buttercup, Acorn, Delicata, Sweet Dumpling, more;
    Pumpkins - Pie, Carving, Decorative, Mini; Ornamental Corn; Gourds;
    Parsley, Chives, other crops as available.

Yay for supporting local farmers!

No comments: