Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chocolate Molten Cakes

This was a perfect New Year's Eve treat. My husband and I have a tradition of staying at home on NYE and making a nice (but not elaborate) dinner and dessert. We open our bottle of champagne at around 9-10pm because we don't stay up until midnight. We're parents, we need our sleep!

I found this recipe online a few years ago after my husband bought me the Willams Sonoma molten cake mixes for Christmas one year. They were SO GOOD. I couldn't justify spending the money to buy more so I did a search, thinking I'd find something similar and definitely not something that would compare. I was surprised to find that the WS chef had the recipe online that inspired the mixes at WS! It's not online anymore so I'll type it out below.

This recipe comes together pretty quickly and only takes 10 minutes to bake. It is heavenly.

The stolen recipe is below.



Chocolate Molten Cakes
Makes two individual cakes

2 oz. bittersweet chocolate
4 1/2 T butter
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour

Melt the chocolate and the butter together in the microwave. Beat in the 2 eggs and sugar. Fold in the flour. So simple!

Divide the batter into 2 ramekins, sprayed with Pam. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. I put the ramekins on a baking sheet for easy transfer. Those little ramekins are hard to handle when very hot!

Let the cakes cool for 1-2 minutes and then invert on to plates. Dust with cocoa powder or powdered sugar. Enjoy!

Adapted from the Chef who created the Williams Sonoma molten cake mixes, whoever he is!

No comments: