Monday, May 21, 2012

French Dijon Roasted Chicken

Roasted chickens are my new favorite dinner. Very easy, but they do take over an hour to roast. I'm sure I won't want to heat up the house in the summer, but maybe we can convert these to the rotisserie on the grill outside!

These flavors are amazing. I've been impressed with the other flavorings (Tex Mex & Soy Ginger Oil) suggested by my book- The Kitchen Counter Cooking School.

I slathered the chicken with this mixture: 3 T olive oil, 1 T red wine vinegar, 3 T Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, and 1 teaspoon dried thyme. This chicken was happy. Happy with the mixture under its skin, slathered on top, and then as the juices ran off I basted the chicken every half an hour with the drippings. I stuffed some garlic cloves and lemon wedges in there for the heck of it.

Easy! I mentioned to my husband that everyone should roast chickens because they are so easy. He said that most households probably don't have red wine vinegar, Dijon, and thyme in their cabinets. He's right. But you could buy those items and be set for many, many chickens!

Tex Mex flavoring: 3 T vegetable oil or butter, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, pinch of cayenne pepper.

Soy Ginger oil flavoring: 2 T vegetable or peanut oil, 1 T sesame oil, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 T rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger.

See my other post about roasting chickens.

 

No comments: