Saturday, April 10, 2010

Candied Cranberry Orange Sangria

Nice weather deserves a cool drink.
Yeah, that's a good reason to make sangria!

I have a Sangria cookbook that I don't use often and I have a lot of cranberries still in the freezer (they last many months) so it seemed like a great opportunity to make this recipe.

There is no stolen recipe online.



Candied Cranberry Orange Sangria
1 1/2 cups whole cranberries
3/4 cup simple syrup (see note below)
1 bottle red wine
2 oranges, cut into half wheels
1/2 cup cranberry juice

In a saucepan, combine the whole cranberries with the simple syrup over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the cranberries soften and the syrup starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and set aside. Let cool. Combine the wine, oranges, and cranberry juice in a large ceramic or glass container. Add the cranberry mixture and stir well. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve over ice. Garnish with additional orange half wheels.

Note: This simple syrup is made by combining 1 cup hot water and 1 cup sugar, until the sugar dissolves. Let cool.

Serves about 7
Adapted from 101 Sangrias & Pitcher Drinks

I didn't, I couldn't wait four hours. I am enjoying a small glass right now. Yum! I love anything cranberry so I am a bit biased.

No comments: