Friday, August 19, 2011

Slow Cooker Beef Dip Sandwiches with caramelized onions

We usually cheat with French Dip sandwiches 'round here. I buy Angus roast beef from the deli and au jus in a jar. I saw this recipe and thought this was my chance to make it "homemade".

The beef smelled heavenly all day. It slow cooked for 8 hours in beef broth, Lipton onion mix, and an au jus packet mix. The resulting au jus was a bit much, I think next time I would do without the au jus packet. I think Lipton mix is much too processed anyway, but I have yet to find a good substitute. (Note to self: keep looking!)

The beef fell apart and made for good leftovers. I sliced the beef in pretty thick pieces and assembled the sandwiches with some caramelized onions and provolone cheese. A quick few minutes in the broiler heated it all up and toasted the bread slightly. YUM.




No comments: