Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Vanilla Ice Cream

I had to look back on all of the ice creams I've made (really, not too many) to see if I've ever made plain old vanilla ice cream. I hadn't! I thought this was a perfect time to get my feet wet with ice cream this season and soon enough I'll make the "fancier" kinds. I have my eye on a Tiramisu recipe...

This ice cream definitely does not disappoint. Look at those vanilla bean specks!

 

 

 

I always make the ice cream custard a few hours (or the night) before I want to churn the ice cream. It needs to be CHILLED before you attempt to churn it. It is just ideal. So I made the vanilla mixture last night and left the vanilla bean pod in the mixture. It got nice and happy overnight!

 

The flavor is amazing! I just snuck this small bowl of ice cream as a pick me up :) I have plans for the ice cream for tonight's dessert. I bought some rhubarb at the grocery store and it's just DYING to be made into Rhubarb Ginger Crumble, and then topped with this ice cream?? My husband is going to kiss me... twice!

The recipe is from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop. Most of the ice cream recipes I make are from this book. I love it. You just can't go wrong. I hope I run into DL in Paris. That'd be sweet!

Click here for the link to David Lebovitz's website and link for Vanilla Ice Cream.

 

No comments: