Monday, June 17, 2013

Best(ie) Banana Bread

 

 

This is my go-to banana bread recipe, probably because it is the easiest, one-bowl recipe. A friend gave this recipe to me. I don't have her permission to post the recipe (though I doubt it was her own) but we don't talk anymore and that's a shame.

As I was making this recipe it occurred to me that I've been baking a long time. I always say that I REALLY started cooking and baking when I moved in with Jim. I thought of cooking as MY responsibility or something I could contribute to the household. As I thought about it, while making this recipe, I really started baking in the late 90's for Ally McBeal.

Every Monday I would go over to this Bestie's house for the weekly TV show. She and her boyfriend/fiancee would provide a small group of us with a great dinner and I would bring the dessert. Cheesecakes, cakes, tarts. It was a small challenge every week to bake something in my quirky little apartment kitchen. (I miss that 60's fluorescent floral wallpaper!)

Well, that was a great little trip down memory lane. It just makes me sad now. Besties move on, I guess!

Best(ie) Banana Bread

  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)- room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.

In a mixing bowl combine the butter and the sugar. Combine well. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes. (I've found that it needs more time.)

 

No comments: