Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Chocolate Waffles

I love breakfast for dinner. My son and I tend to do this on the nights that Jim is out (he has a weekly pool league night). I don't think I would have experimented with chocolate waffles on a regular dinner night. Also, chocolate waffles sound more like dessert. Well, when it's just the two of us I go a little nuts :) It's like a special Mom/Son thing or something.

It's not often that James actually LIKES something new. I was glad he was willing to try the waffles and then he LIKED them!! Success. He dipped them in syrup and was happy.




I ended up only eating half of mine and I put strawberry jam on top. It is a pretty big waffle. I also made one for Jim and froze it. I know he'll enjoy it tomorrow!




The waffle recipe is from the waffle maker manual. I'm going to copy it here since I don't know if it's available anywhere online.


Chocolate Waffles
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine the dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl. Whisk the wet ingredients (milk through vanilla) in a medium bowl. Whisk the milk mixture into the dry ingredients just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened. Let batter rest 5 minutes. Spray both waffle grids with cooking spray. Pour 1 cup batter onto the center of the bottom grid. Close top and flip waffle maker. Bake until set, about 4 minutes. Serve topped with your choice of topping- whipped cream, syrup, fruit.
Makes 3 waffles


I made regular Belgian waffles too and talked about my waffle iron in this post.

No comments: