Monday, May 30, 2011

Strawberry Sorbet & Cantaloupe Sorbet



Fruit sorbets are so easy. I just need to keep my ice cream bowl in the freezer at all times, so I'm ready to whip it out for the ice cream maker. I was expecting guests, one who is lactose intolerant, so I was pretty excited to make something I knew she could eat. Well, my son got sick and I canceled the Oprah party. I have all of this sorbet around the house and no one is eating it. (My husband likes his sweets but I think he'd rather have chocolate something-something. Oh well, more for me!)

I cut back on the sugar a bit in the recipes, knowing that the fruit was already pretty sweet. The strawberries were some of the most perfect, ripe strawberries ever- well, next to the pick-your-own at berry farms, and the cantaloupe was also very perfect and delicious. Such great fruit for sorbets!

The strawberry sorbet was smooth and creamy. Perfect! The cantaloupe sorbet was a bit icy, good though. I think it was because the cantaloupe sorbet called for a bit of white wine. I used a bit of vanilla vodka in the strawberry sorbet, which keeps it from icing up. I think next time I would use vodka in both. Who knows if that's what made the difference?

Anyway, refreshing and wonderful!

Of course these ice cream recipes came from The Perfect Scoop but I've found them online as well.


No comments: